Archery GB's Para team prepare for the Paralympic Games in Paris, starting with the final quota tournaments.
The Fazza World Ranking Events (WRE) is the last opportunity up for grabs for para archers to secure quota places for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games.
The GB Para Squad have been working non-stop through the winter season to prepare themselves for the upcoming quota tournaments in Dubai in February and March.
What’s on the road to Paris for the Paras?
- 24-28 February – a prep camp in Dubai, which will lead into the Fazza Championships
- 29 February - 8 March - Fazza Championships, which will also be host to the Final Quota Tournament (FQT) on 5 March. Following this event, the team will know their final quota spots for the Paralympics
- 25-26 March (indoors) and 8-9 April - the team will host two selection shoots, held at the new Performance Archery Centre at Lilleshall
- April/May – Final Paris 2024 team selection and announcement
- 15 April - final selection meeting
- 20-26 May - European Championships in Rome
- 22-30 June - European Cup Leg 1 in Nove Mesto, Che
- 15-19 July - the team will be hosting an international camp at Lilleshall, where the Para squad will get to shoot alongside some of GB's closest international competitors
- 17 August – the team depart for the Saint-Germain-en-Laye holding camp before the Paralympic Games begin later that month
- 28 August - 5 September - the Paralympics Games; it all kicks off the with opening ceremony on 28th, the archery competition officially starts the day after on the 29th
Performance Director, Tom Duggan, said: "In the categories where we have already secured places, the competition will be a valuable first step in preparation for Paris to test the work that has been put in over the winter."
Meet the team!
Below are the athletes who will compete at the WRE and FQT in February and March:
Compound Men Open
Compound Women Open
Recurve Men Open
Recurve Women Open
- Amanda George (Non-Programme*)
- Carlene Lorimer (Non-Programme*)
Rachel Bayley, the Paralympic Programme Manager, said: “Now 2024 has arrived, we are entering into the final preparation period for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games in August and September. Naturally we want to secure as many spots as possible at FQT to add to the four we already have, before final selections are in April with team announcements to follow. The athletes and staff are excited about the challenge ahead.”
*Someone who has met the selection criteria for the competition who is not selected for the World Class Programme, or someone who the World Class Programme has identified for international classification.